Elon Musk confirmed the salaried workforce at Tesla Inc. would be cut by about 10 per cent over the next three months, but said the overall reduction in the electric-car maker’s workforce would only be some 3.5 per cent as hourly staff numbers are still expected to grow.
“Let’s not read too much into a preemptive lawsuit that has no standing,” Musk said in Tuesday’s interview via video link.
Musk, 50, waded into the work-from-home debate earlier this month, laying down an ultimatum for Tesla staff to return to the office, or leave.
“Everyone at Tesla is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week,” Musk wrote in an email titled “To be super clear.” “Moreover, the office must be where your actual colleagues are located, not some remote pseudo office. If you don’t show up, we will assume you have resigned.”
“The more senior you are, the more visible must be your presence,” Musk wrote. “That is why I lived in the factory so much — so that those on the line could see me working alongside them. If I had not done that, Tesla would long ago have gone bankrupt.”
As for competition from the world’s leading automakers, Musk said Tesla doesn’t really think about possible rivals. The main issues the company face are to do with supply chains and its own production capacity.