Sign Up for FREE Daily Energy News
Canadian Flag CDN NEWS  |  US Flag US NEWS  | TIMELY. FOCUSED. RELEVANT. FREE
  • Stay Connected
  • linkedin
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • youtube2
BREAKING NEWS:

Zachry Integrity Engineering
Copper Tip Energy Services
Copper Tip Energy
Zachry Integrity Engineering


NextEra CEO Says He Feels ‘Very Good’ About Dominion Offshore Wind Project


These translations are done via Google Translate

 

CERAWeek energy conference 2026 in Houston
John Ketchum, the President and CEO of NextEra Energy, speaks during the CERAWeek energy conference 2026 in Houston, Texas, U.S., March 23, 2026. REUTERS/Danielle Villasana

(Reuters) – The chief executive of NextEra Energy  said on Monday that his company felt good about Dominion’s investment ​in offshore wind, a technology he has disparaged ‌in the past.

CEO John Ketchum made the remarks on a call with investors to discuss NextEra’s $66.8 billion bid for Dominion, which is building ​a more than $11 billion offshore wind project off ​the coast of Virginia.


Get the Latest US Focused Energy News Delivered to You! It's FREE: Quick Sign-Up Here


“As we look at it, ⁠we feel very good about it,” Ketchum said, noting ​that the facility is already sending power to the grid ​and recently reduced its projected cost by $100 million to $11.4 billion.

NextEra is the world’s largest renewable energy generator but has conspicuously steered clear ​of offshore wind, largely due to its high cost.

MicroWatt Controls: Instrumentation & Safety System Experts
Shocker Edge

In ​remarks in 2023, Ketchum said offshore wind was too costly and complicated due ‌to ⁠risks from salt water corrosion, the threat of hurricanes, the need for specialized ships and the tricky installation of subsea transmission cables.

Dominion’s Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind project will be ​the largest U.S. ​offshore wind ⁠project when it is completed next year. It has experienced more than $1 billion in ​cost overruns and late last year was ordered ​to ⁠stop construction under a broad Trump administration pause on the industry.

A federal judge lifted the stop-work order in January.

“We feel like the ⁠project ​is online, and given the investment ​that’s been made there, it’s the right thing to do to finish ​it,” Ketchum said.

 

Share This:




More News Articles


GET ENERGYNOW’S DAILY EMAIL FOR FREE